Sunday, November 22, 2009

Game On!




On Sunday morning, I awoke in plenty of time to get to Memorial Park early and look for a couple of boxes before the event. I made my first stop at the Houston Arboretum, where I found one box, then decided to go ahead and hide my own box there. Since this event was about games, I carved a box for Mario from the Super Mario Brothers game. I found a nice place to leave my Italian friend, then headed off to the park.

I still had time to find some boxes before the event started, but I decided to drive around and see if I could spot the meeting place. Sure enough, I found Dewberry, MO5, LSQ, and BT setting up. I jumped out of the car with my letterboxing gear and pre-inked fingers.


I posted my clue for Mario, greeted everyone, and stamped in to the event stamp. Dewberry's "event poster" was very clever. After writing down a few things and ciphering a clue or two, I went to find a couple of boxes with BT, LSQ, and Mosaic Butterfly. We started off by finding the Mouse Trap box. As we were walking away from this box, we spotted Silver Eagle, Baby Bear, and Clueless Collector. We all greeted one another, then went seperate ways.

Now, the four of us were on the hunt for Baby Bear's Bingo Card and Bingo Piece. We easily found the Card, and while we were in the area, LSQ remembered there was another box near this one. She gave us the clues to this one, and we stamped into this lovely carve. After packing this one up, it was time for us to go after that Bingo piece. We followed the bear down the path and eventually yelled BINGO! Lucky for us, we were all winners!!!



By this time, we decided to head back to the event site for more talking and stamping. I was able to meet Dawn's Glory and her family. I ate a little bit, chatted with some folks, and found some more nearby letterboxes.


Meeting up on the trail


After a little while, I joined Pacifickle and Miss S in hunting down some more letterboxes. We found Diamonds Are Forever, The Tin Man's Lost Oil Can, and The Writing's on The Wall. We searched for one more, but we had a hard time finding that one and came up empty. We did, however, find some neon colored fungus!





The day was beginning to grow darker and it was time for me to hit the road. We made it back to the trail head, and I sadly headed out of Houston and back to reality.



Thanks to the organizers of the GAME ON! Event for doing such a fabulous job!

No comments: