Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hill Country Trip-Day One and Two




Last October, Blue Butterfly and PSGuru took a trip to Garner State Park and camped out for a few days. I decided that it sounded like such a good idea, that I would take a few days down there this summer for myself....and I did!

I made the drive down to Garner State Park on Sunday, June 21. I finally made it there in the late afternoon. I went to check in and discovered there was a line and I had to take a number. I waited in the lobby area for about 45 minutes, then finally checked in. I made my way to the camp site and began unloading and setting up. As I was putting my tent together, two teenage girls were sent by there mother from across the road to help me set up the tent. I was grateful for the help! They asked me if I was camping alone and I told them yes. I didn't mention that my main goal was to look for rubber stamps in the woods! They were very friendly, and I thanked them and they went back to their family and I continued with the set up routine.

After getting everything set up, I was ready to go find a box. I made my way back to the front of the park and found Blue Butterfly's A COWBOY DELIGHT. I was the second finder, but I still beat the Gryzzled One to this box! After having my letterbox fix for the day, I went back to camp and read for a while, then went on to sleep.

With the breeze blowing, it was not hot at night and I slept very well. As day two arrived, I headed out toward Leakey (pronounced LAKEY) and found the scenic overlook and a letterbox. It has a great view and is located (if I remember correctly) on Hwy 83, which stretches from the Northern tip of Texas to the Southern tip of Texas.

After leaving Leakey, I headed toward Vanderpool. I found the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum, which happened to be closed. This was good news and bad news. The good news is, I could nab the box without on lookers. The bad news was, I could not experience the museum itself. So, I took my time and enjoyed stamping in at the gate of the museum, then moved along to Lost Maples State Natural Area.
I was looking forward to finding two boxes here. One was by Silver Eagle and is called LOST MAPLE. This box is about five years old, if I recall correctly. I found the box and was alone on the trail to stamp in. (Of course I was....who else would be hiking out in this heat except for a letterboxer?) I replaced the box and headed for the next box. I took my time enjoying the scenery and watching butteflies as I moved along the trail. Then I FINALLY looked at the clue again...a five mile hike....well, I had plenty of water and I'd brought along snacks...maybe I could handle this. As I got farther in, I saw the hike is "fairly difficult". Then when I got to the steep part of the trail, I knew why it was difficult. I decided to give it a try. I ended up having to bite the bullet and turn around. It was too much for me. Maybe I can go back after I am a more experienced hiker and grab that box. I made it back to the car, cooled off, and made my way to Utopia.....literally.
There is a box called THIS IS UTOPIA and it is located in Utopia, TX. This was at another museum that was not open when I was there. I stamped in, and remembered I'd passed a library, so I decided to see if I could access the internet there.
I spent about 20 minutes on the internet in the Utopia Library, then headed back to camp. That night, I carved a stamp and prepared the box with plans to hide it in Garner SP the next morning.


2 comments:

Blue Butterfly said...

What beautiful butterflies! I especially like the top photo :)

Mama Cache said...

I'm so glad you didn't let me know you were hiking alone again --

Beautiful pics, my friend.

We sure miss you.