Thursday, July 02, 2009

Hill Country Trip-Day Three and Four



On Tuesday morning after breakfast, I finished putting together my letterbox, then hit the trail to find a place for it. There was a trail head next to my campsite, so I decided to start there. I found a place for the letterbox at the top of a VERY STEEP hill. The box is called YAKKING IT UP. I made my way back to the camp site and cleaned up the clues, then headed to Uvalde. It was at this point that I realized my sunglasses were not with my hat any more. I guessed I'd probably dropped them along the trail at some point. I'd have to go back for them later.




I made my way to Uvalde, stopped at WalMart, then headed out to find the FORT INGE LB. Of course, I passed the turn and had to turn around and go back. When I got to Fort Inge, I stopped the car and went to the gate. I wasn't sure if the grounds were open or not, so I just climbed through the gate and took the box back to my car and stamped in there. After leaving the fort, I went to the Uvalde Library and posted the clue to my newest letterbox.




After making it back to camp that afternoon, I rested for a while, then went back down the trail, hoping to find my sunglasses. I made my way down the trail and climbed up the hill to the box, and there they were, on the ground by the tree. I'm glad I found them. :-)




That afternoon, I talked with one of the mothers from across the street who had sent her girls over to help me. We had a nice little chat, then that evening, she brought over a plate of food for me. I thought that was really nice. I had almost a whole bundle of firewood that I would not be using, so I offered it to her and she gladly took it. She told me they would be staying in Garner until Monday and I told her I would be leaving tomorrow morning.

On Wednesday morning, I got up and packed up the camp. I headed out of Garner and wanted to go through Bandera so that I could get another Baby Bear LB. (Unlike certain ghosts and bozos, I am definitely in the Baby Bear Fan Club) I made my way to Bandera and the Hill Country State Natural Area. I easily found the box, and of course, got a good laugh from it!




This was my last letterbox of the trip. I made it safely home that afternoon and unpacked the car. The suitcase is another story......

No comments: