Monday, June 30, 2008

Letterboxing Excursion (What other kind is there?)


(LL at the Luling Rest Area)
On Monday, I had some personal business to take care of near Victoria, so I made a decision on Saturday afternoon that I would go down a day early and do some letterboxing in Goliad. I started out by making a stop in Waco on the Baylor Campus. I'd deciphered a clue and thought I could get pretty close to the LB. AND...I thought....College campus...early Sunday morning...I'll probably have the place to myself WRONG! When I got to the intended place, there was a young man there enjoying the beautiful morning and doing some reading. ACK! I walked around for a little bit, but the guy was determined to stay. I had to leave sans letterbox.



I made my way down to Luling so I could get the WATERMELON THUMP LB and the LULLING IN LULING LB. I realized before I got to Luling that the Watermelon Thump festival would probably be going on while I was there. However, I was on a letterboxing mission and may not stick around for long. As I pulled into Luling, my suspicions were confirmed about the festival. I'm guessing they must have some sort of Watermelon Queen because there were some signs saying, "Vote for Suzy" and "Vote for Molly". I'm hoping the contest was fair and not seedy in any way :-) Anyhow, I made it to the box and moved away all the spider webs and stamped into the box. This is a great stamp! After this, it was getting close to lunch time, so I decided to make my way to the LULLING IN LULING LB and to eat lunch at it's location.

I got onto I10 and made my way to the designated rest area. This is a REALLY nice place. I found the box, and stamped in, then went back to the picnic pavilions to eat my lunch. It was nice under the shade and there was a breeze blowing. Thanks to Dewberry for taking me here! After cleaning up my lunch mess, I headed back toward 183 to make my way to Goliad.

Goliad SP is only about a half mile from Hwy 59 and is extremely simple to find. I checked in with the very friendly staff there, then went to visit the mission. The mission is beautiful inside and out. It's rare in America that we are able to see architecture that dates back to the 1800's, so this was a treat. After admiring the mission, I hit the trail and found my designated boxes.

Boxes I found on 6-29:
Little Foot
Mission Espiritu Santo
Six Flags: Mexico (This was a fun one to stamp into because it's been in place for so long....I loved thumbing through the logbook)
I10 Box Stop: Lulling in Luling

(Mission Espiritu Santo)

No comments: