Tuesday, July 10, 2007

....the State Where I Was(n't) Born...


On Saturday morning, after a good night's rest at Miss Emily's Bed and Breakfast, I decided to try and find a few letterboxes before the big event. I headed out to find LOUISIANA SEASONS: LONG HOT SUMMER, which is located in a cemetery. When I arrived, I got out and looked around, trying to figure out where I was supposed to be headed toward, then a car pulled up. I pretended to be interested in the graves and walked slowly around, re-affirming that I saw the right place. The people got out of their car and went into the section of the cemetery where I needed to be--AND it started raining. I took out my umbrella and continued to stroll along in the cemetery. These people were putting flowers on a grave, so I made a loop back to my car and decided to try again later.

Next, I tried making my way to Rocky's Video, but I happened upon Curry's pharmacy first. I went in, and after waiting in line, I gave the young man the secret password and he brought me my prize. By the time I was finished stamping in, it was time to head to the Event. I pulled up to the designated area and was greeted by Mama Cache and Company. We began pulling out our letterboxing equipment in order to get personal travelers and the event stamp. A few minutes after I arrived, Big M also joined in the fun.
We had a great time stamping in and enjoying the nice weather and one another's company. The event stamp was FANTASTICALLY carved by Mama Cache.

After the event, Big M and I went to find a few boxes. I told her about my bad luck with the SEASONS box, so we headed there and I was able to stamp in this time. Next, I found BASEBALL SKUNK, which was planted by Big M. Now, it was time for both of us to find some boxes that neither of us had stamped into. We found ROLL E'M and BRIDGE OUT (EAST) and BRIDGE OUT (WEST). After working so hard, we needed a break, so we headed to Mama Cache's house and visited with her and the gang for a while.


After leaving MC's place, we decided to go out to the Mary Ann Brown Nature preserve. Big M wanted to stamp into the boxes I'd placed on Friday, and she volunteered to help me find a box or two I'd missed stamping into. We got started and Big M followed the clues to both of my IN SEARCH OF: boxes. (If you ever meet Big M, ask her what she found at the In Search of a Brain box....cuz I'll never tell!) We continued around the trail and found a bench to rest on while we got a peaceful view of a small pond. Big M decided that this is where she wanted to plant her box. She got to work scoping out a hiding place while I continued to rest at the bench. After she found the perfect hiding spot, we continued around the loop.

Somehow or another, the pair of us got a little confused and we looped right back around to the pond! Hmmm...we're not sure exactly what happened, but we decided to try again. This time, we followed the trail correctly and found Boxdn's BOX #8 S.C. box. We even found a turtle along the way! I was thrilled to be able to stamp into one of Boxdn's boxes. This box has been in place for about three years and has a rich history. However, the log book was quite damp and it was impossible to stamp into. Big M decided to take it home, dry it out, and bring it back. After this, we continued around the trail and headed back to Big M's place for a little repast.

I had quite a fun day at the event and going out to find LB's with Big M. Part of the fun of letterboxing is coming back with some great stories to tell, and I definitely accomplished my goal!

The stamps I earned on this day:

Half and Half
Fire Off! - Babadge's PT
Cottontail's Harvest - Cottontail's PT
Red, White, and Blueberry Event Stamp
Livin' in the Sticks - Mama Cache's PT
Irish Blessing - Mama Cache's PT
Dreams - Big M's PT
Clyde the Cowboy and Bart his Buckin' Bronco Hitch Hiker
Cottontail's Love - Cottontail's PT
Geaux Tigers! - Mike V's PT
Hey Fightin' Tigers - Mike V's PT
Roll 'em
Louisiana Seasons: Long, Hot Summer
The Head Hunter LB
Bridge Out (West)
Bridge Out (East)
Something Special Event Stamp
Give Me Louisiana - Chippy's PT
Baseball Skunk
Podling Slave~From the Dark Crystal
Please Pass the Honey, Honey Hitch Hiker
Box #8 SC
Bonus Box
Skeeter-Cootie
Hookey Walker



No comments: