Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Mother Neff SP and Georgetown Trip



Yesterday, I got up EARLY and drove out to Moody in order to find a few boxes there. I drove into Mother Neff SP with clues in hand. I stopped at the Ranger's station to show them my pass and get a map, then drove around to where I could find the boxes. When I drove around, I saw the Ranger unlocking a gate, so I just presumed that was a "no access" kind of place and turned left instead. WRONG! I realized I was driving out of the park. The gate that Mr. Ranger was unlocking was to the Day Use Area, and that was EXACTLY where I needed to go. So, I turned around and headed to find my treasures.

It was nice and quiet that morning. I think I was the only one out there enjoying the trails for most of the morning. This park is a nice one, and with the Wash Pond and the Indian Cave, there is a great deal of history here. I found HORNED OWL #2, FIRST TX STATE PARK, DADDY LONG LEGS, THE CCC Co. 817 SERIES, and BAT BOX #2-NEFF BAT. I left a HH in one of these boxes, also, and ofcourse planted a new box.

On my way out, I saw a deer cross the road in front of me and noticed that the little deer had a friend waiting for her. I stopped my car and took as many pictures as I could of these beautiful creatures. They certainly stayed near the road for longer than I anticipated! Then, it was on to Georgetown!!

Blue Butterfly and I had visited Georgetown previously, when we came to do the DELICIOUSLY TASTY COOKIE SERIES by Batty B. We're very fond of the parks in Georgetown due to our adventure there. Anyhow, a few more boxes have been planted there by Boots Tex, Baby Bear, Lone Star Quilter, and a few others, so I certainly wanted to treat myself to these boxes!

I started out at Blue Hole Park. On the trail that leads to THREE LEGGED WILLIE, a couple of trees are down across the path, which made it a little more difficult to count paces as you're climbing over. As always, though, Boots Tex made it worth it! A great stamp with a great story is what I found hiding under the rock. I also found GEORGETOWN QUILT BLOCK, and JIMINY CRICKET in this park. I even left a box called NAP TIME for others to enjoy.

After my adventure here, I headed to Berry Springs Park. I was able to see more of this park on this trip than last time, and I certainly enjoyed the hiking trails. It was nice and peaceful, and a man was fishing in the catch-and-release area. I started out by visiting the cemetery and the donkeys, then found TO HELL AND BACK, BERRY BUSY BEAVER, and SQUARE DANCE QUILT BLOCK. By the time I'd found those boxes, it was getting close to dark, so I had to call it quits and head back home. I was lucky that day that the weather was nice enough for boxing, but it kept most people away from the parks. Now, I must start planning my next trip with Blue Butterfly. We're going to take our Second Annual Weekend Before Christmas Letterboxing Run.....who knows where it will take us??

No comments: