Monday, March 01, 2010

Marshall, TX







The last weekend of February, Blue Butterfly and I decided to try once again to make it to Marshall to find a few letterboxes. We had tried the previous weekend, but I had problems with my vehicle and couldn't make it. So, after having to take my car BACK into the shop on this particular weekend and waiting for FOUR HOURS, they finally gave me a rental so that I could go letterboxing!


I met Blue Butterfly in Longview where we ate lunch, then headed to Marshall. Our first stop was for a Texas Governor. BB already had this one, so I stamped into this box, then we headed to find a Tin Lizzie. When we arrived at the roadside park, there was a man on a motorcycle there. We were trying to decide if he was coming or going before we got out of the car. We sat in the car for a few minutes, and he left, so we were able to get out of the car and go on our hunt. We found the letterbox, and used (of course) my black stamp pad for the color!






Now, it was time for us to head to a cemetery which contains a sculpture called Grief. Again, Blue Butterfly had already been here, but I needed (yes--NEEDED) to stamp into these boxes, too. There are two boxes in this cemetery-one by JB Kokopelli and the other by Boots Tex/Lone Star Quilter. We took our time finding the boxes and I was absolutely amazed at the details of Boots' carve. How does he do it? I can only imagine the time and care that goes into a carving of this nature. My hat's off to you, Boots!


After leaving the cemetery, we headed back into Marshall proper to find a few more boxes that Blue Butterfly has not stamped into yet. We found Fire Ant Festival, a very clever carve, and Marhsall, Capitol of Missouri. After these, BB took me to find JBKokopelli's Marshall Pottery LB. I really wanted to go to the real Marshall Pottery, too, because I've never visited, but they were closed. I did however, stamp into the letterbox on a peaceful bridge in a quiet cemetery.






All in all, a good fun day once I was finally able to go letterboxing!!

1 comment:

Mama Cache said...

That last pic is interesting, my friend.