Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Great Book Adventure!


After leaving my work obligations at about 10:30 Saturday morning, I rushed down to Tomball for the GBA event. I arrived at Burroughs Park at about 2 and the stamping frenzy began! I stamped into the event poster, then started making my way around to meet and greet new and old friends. It was also very important that I mention their personal and literary travelers so that I could also get those stamps.

After having exchanged with a few folks and passing secret greetings, I wanted to get a few boxes. Many of the boxers recommended the storybook walk, which had great stamps and was also full of day-only boxes. I started out my eye-spy game by opening the bird cage, then continued down the trail. This walk was intended for the children, but I don't mind saying I enjoyed it, too! I can only imagine what some of the non-boxers thought when they saw the rather large pair of undewear hanging from the tree that contained a Captain Underpants LB provided by Mother of Five!

Stamps I earned at the GBA include:

The Great Book Adventure Event Stamp

Queen Beeloved-exchange
I Speak for the Trees LT
Pleasantness and Peace LT

Butterfly B-exchange
Butterfly B is a young member of the Busy Bee's family. She designed and created her own signature stamp! She did a great job of it and I was very proud of her carving. I even made Blue Butterfly jealous that evening by showing her this stamp. Blue Butterfly made a point of exchanging with the young Butterfly B the next day so her collection would be complete.

The Bible Event Stamp

Daisy and Onslow-exchange
Osnlow's PT
Daisy's LT
Daisy's PT-This pair of boxers has introduced me to an intriguing British TV show that I feel is a must watch. I just have to figure out where I can rent it to watch it at home!

Lionsmane63-exchange
Lionsmane63 PT
Lionsmane63 LT-I really enjoyed visiting with this boxer, who came all the way from Santa Fe, NM to attend our Gathering. He gave me some new carving tips, which (hopefully), I'll be able to try out soon. His LT was one of my favorites as it has to do with a novel that was turned into a fabulous musical.

Marley the Frog-This was a box that Barefoot Lucy created for her grand-frog, Marley!

Baby Bear's LT-another amazing work of art by this long-time TX boxer

A Gryzzled LT-How can I NOT take advantage of the Gryzzled One's LT? I only regret that I didn't have the opportunity to find the box he planted during the gathering.

Itchy I Cootie-I don't know who planted this on me, but now I have hives....THANKS A LOT!

The Polka Dots-Exchange-I enjoyed visiting with this family. They were more than happy to tell me the clues to their travelers, since I couldn't find my clues at the time. Thimble Cat also told me that she thinks about my PT when she is volunteering at the library where her child attends school.....what an honor!
Thimble Cat Exchange
E-Bug Exchange
6foot9 Exchange
Thimble Cat LT-I really enjoyed this LT, as I fan of the books AND the television show.
6foot9 LT-Now I have a micro-box and an LT of the same name!
E-Bug LT

TeamKing's PT-A Scoutdog Dachsund
This is a lovely memorial to a beloved pet.

TeamKing's Agatha Raisin LT

TeamKing's Outlander LT

Will's World-Exchange

Cattitude-Exchange

Wanda and Pete-Exchange I FINALLY was able to exchange with the famous Wanda and Pete from Rhode Island! I didn't get to visit with them much that day, but BB and I ended up stamping into a few boxes with them the next day at the Snap Crackle and Clues event. I was trying not to seem star struck every time I talked to them...I hope it worked!

Storybook Walk Stamps
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
The Phantom Tollbooth
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Charlotte's Web-This stamp looks JUST like the cover artwork!
Captain Underpants
Amelia Badelia
Junie B. Jones, Toothless Wonder - this stamp was securely tucked inside a pillow!
Island of the Blue Dolphin

Lightning's LT-Thanks Lightning for sharing your stamp with me! It's a fun stamp that I'm THRILLED I got!

Arrenurus Water Mite of the Microscopic Cooties-Mother of 5 suddenly and unexpectedly planted this one on me as I was leaving.....revenge is mine!!!!

Strawberry Shortcake Fan of the Atoy Adventurers-She'd just carved her Signature stamp the night before and did a good job of it.

As you can see, even though I was only at this gathering for a couple of hours, I used my time wisely! This was a great deal of fun, but it was only the first of THREE events I'd attend over the next 24 hours. Thanks to all who shared their stamps, letterboxing stories, and carving tips with me.

No comments: