Tuesday, December 23, 2008

So Much Fun!



The EXCUSE TO GATHER meet was in Tulsa, OK this past weekend. I decided earlier last week to sign up for it and make the drive. I got off work early on Friday afternoon, and hit the road. I got stuck in Dallas traffic, unfortunately, but finally made it across the Red River. I made it into Tulsa at about 10:00 that night. I checked into a hotel, then checked my AQ mail. Safari Man had sent out some WOM clues that I should be able to find on Saturday morning. I went to the business center, printed out the clues, and found the park on the map. Luckily, I wasn't too far from the park and it should be easy to find. I went to bed excited about meeting all these new people the next day.




I woke up at the hotel and ate a little breakfast, then hit the trail. I found the park and followed the clues to the first box. After waiting for four or five joggers to go by (what were they doing out here anyway? It was COLD!), I snagged the first box. After stamping in, I followed the clue to box #2. While I was stamping in, a man came up to me and said, "I caught ya!" It was Safari Man! We chatted for a little while, then he had to leave to go get some things set up for the event. I stuck around and found the rest of the WOM boxes in the park.
After finally leaving the park, I made my way over to the event site. I was greeted by young Princess Minty, "Hi Lucy Locket!"
"How did you know it was me?" I asked.
"Your license plate says Texas on it!" she replied.
So, I went into the gathering room and met Okie Dog, Fishin Mom, Goofy Girl, Tulsa Gal, and said hello again to Safari Man. A little later, I met Adairmd. I also met the rest of Goofy Girl's gang-JerBear and Star Commander. We had a good time sitting around, stamping, chatting, stamping, and chatting some more. I even found a letterbox that was "hidden in plain sight".
As I was chatting with Safari Man, he gave me some advice on my route back to Texas, which I greatly appreciated. Then, he told me about a letterbox that I could pick up on my way home....even better!
After the meet was over, I went with Goofy Girl and Adairmd to find two boxes out in the wild. We had a good time stamping in with the cold and the cold wind! However, all good things must come to an end, so I had to leave Tulsa and head south.
Thanks to all the great letterboxers that I met in Tulsa. You made the drive worthwhile!!!

2 comments:

adairmd said...

We are glad you came!

Anonymous said...

Well, I am a year late in posting but I just found your web site.
Glad you made it up to T Town and now I follow your travels on the Tx A.Q. board. Man, you do get around.

Glenn/Safari Man