Friday, July 04, 2008

Friendly Birds

(The dipping vat where cattle were brought to be dipped as a safeguard against ticks)

I had to work a few days this week (I know....woe is me, right?), but of course I had Friday off. I was planning on heading out to Blue Butterfly's house so that we could do some letterboxing on Saturday, but I decided to take the long way out. My main objective was to make it to Mineola so that I could snag her BIRDS IN A TREE SERIES. On the way, though, I stopped in Canton and picked up THE DIPPING VAT.



I passed the historical marker for the actual dipping vat itself, and decided I'd take a look at it on my way out after having stamped in. So, when my LB duties were completed, I drove back to the marker and read the information, then walked on down to take a look at this actual piece of history. As I was about to get back into my car, a man on a tractor yelled, "HEY!" So I went over and talked to him and he asked me if I knew what I was looking at over there. I told him that I read the information on the marker, then we had a little discussion about it.



I hopped back in the car and headed toward Mineola. When I got into town, I first found GRANDPA'S POCKET WATCH by Wag Time, then headed over to the Nature Preserve.




I noticed a little garden near the parking lot and the trail head, and stopped to enjoy what few flowers were blooming. As I walked down the trail, I saw a little open-ended shack and walked over to investigate it. This housed a beehive that you can open and look into. They have a couple of steps that children can stand on to get a close look at the bees. Then, I headed down into the wooded area and found the boxes. There are several wildlife viewing areas and a couple of nice bridges in this preserve. I enjoyed finding these boxes and walking along this trail. After I finished up, I headed to Blue Butterfly's house and we prepared for our next day's adventure!

(I picked up a few hitch hikers along the way, unfortunately, I can't log any of them!)

No comments: