Sunday, September 25, 2005

Killough Monument


The weather took an unexpected turn for the better in Eastern Texas today, so I WAS able to actually go out and find a box. Blue Butterfly and I ventured out to the small town of Mt. Selman, TX and visited the site of the Killough Family Massacre. The Killough Family, who were early Texas settlers, were gathering their crops one day when they were suddenly and unexpectedly attacked by Native Americans. Many were killed, some were kidnapped, and even fewer were able to hide. The survivors who hid were rescued by a friendly Native American a few days later. This monument is a tribute to these early settlers.

The box was planted here by Barefoot Lucy. Even though I lived in this area for many years, I have never visited Killough Monument, so I thank her leading me to this historical place. It was a fascinating and educational experience.