Monday, September 05, 2005

In The Jungle



Since today was a holiday, I was able to get out and do a little letterboxing this morning. I woke up bright and early to discover that the Frye Team had planted new boxes in Lufkin, Diboll, and Livingston. I decided to go hunting for the boxes in Lufkin and Diboll and save Livingston for another day. I visited the Ellen Trout Zoo in the hopes of discovering the Hippi and Ellen Trout Zoo letterboxes. I've never visited this particular zoo before, but found it quite enjoyable and took a few nice photographs. I stamped in at Hippi and claimed the First Finder's certificate. As I exited the zoo, I swung back in to find the other letterbox. I climbed out of my car and pretended to take a few pictures as I spotted the place where the box should be hidden. The next thing I know, a truck with what might be two maintenance workers (maybe not, but definitely some sort of zoo employee) pull up and park at the entrance. They are watching me. So, I take a few pictures, both real and fake, hoping they'll get bored with me. This didn't happen. So, in order to protect the integrity of the box, I had to leave, stampless.

I got back on Highway 59 and headed into the town of Diboll. I pulled into the History Museum, but much to my dismay, it was closed on this Labor Day holiday. I successfully found Crawlin' Down 59 and replaced it with no spies watching me.

All in all, it was a good day for letterboxing. The boxes I've mentioned can all be found on the LBNA website. This family does a great job with their stamps and I've thoroughly enjoyed finding their boxes.

1 comment:

Blue Butterfly said...

I'm jealous!!! I can't wait to visit this zoo. It would be better than being in Dallas this week-end with the "dixie chicks".
Blue Butterfly