Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Solo Trip-Day One

On December 27, I set off on a trip with the express intent of FINALLY letterboxing at Brazos Bend State Park. I left my home during the late morning and headed south. Since I was going to be driving through the Houston area, I definitely wanted to try to get the boxes in Mother of Five's Mythical Creatures Series. I was a contributor to this series a couple of years ago and had been wanting to see all the stamps that were a part of this series. I made it to Terry Hershey Park in the late afternoon and made my way down the path and followed the clues.

There are five boxes in the "beginning" part of this series. I wanted to get all of these, plus hopefully a few from the second part of the series. I easily found the first box. I picked it up and made my way to the second box. At the location of the second box, there were children at the swingsets, so I opted to try again on my way out. Going toward the third box, I made my way through the woods and over a couple of bridges to the site of box #3. Unfortunately, I could not find this one. ON TO BOX #4! I twisted and turned along the path and found the appropriate landmark. YES! I found the box. There was a nearby bench, so I stamped into Box #1 and Box #4. I returned Box #4 to it's hiding spot and continued along the trail to the next box. I searched for Box #5, but I came up with nothing. :-( By this time, I knew it was getting too late for me to safely continue on to the next part of the series, so I headed back to the beginning of the trail. I stopped to look for the second box, but could not find the landmark that was indicated in the clues. After giving up the search, I continued back toward the parking lot, replacing Box #1, then headed on to the hotel.

Don't worry...I'll be back for the rest of the series some day!!

No comments: